Monday, March 26, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Ingredients: (Yields 80 loads)

 •2 cups Borax
 •2 cups Washing Soda
 •1 Cup Kosher salt
 •10 packages unsweetened lemonade (citric acid)
 •A container to store it in

 I just added everything to the container I was going to store it in.   I stirred it and broke up some clumps.  Then I shook it to get it good and mixed up.  When I labeled it I made sure I put "1 tbs per load" so that my husband would know how much to use and I left the 1tbs in there. 

For a rinse aid, I put vinegar in the rinse aid compartment.  I have already used this recipe on a load and my dishes look beautiful!!!   

The cost of this averages $4.50 a batch.  My husband and I were spending $14 for 115 loads of the cascade action packs or $6 for a box Cascade Complete which supposedly doesn't need any prewashing but the directions say "For Best Results, Fill Both The Pre-Wash and The Main Wash Cups Completely." 

Anyway, I hope you find this recipe useful.  So far I'm loving it. 


Edited:  We had to substitute Lemi Shine (1/4cup for one batch) for the Lemonade packets. Be sure to include some rice when making this and put it in a good air tight container or it will become one big clump and won't be usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment